Autumn is synonymous with one glorious holiday that most of us adore – Thanksgiving. As this turkey-filled, colorful and downright homey holiday approaches, we naturally begin to reflect on what we’re thankful for. Everybody’s list will be a little bit different, but we’ve narrowed down 17 things that the accountants we know will be giving thanks for this year.
1. Coffee/Tea – Could you get through quarter-end without it? Could you?
2. Mary Jo White – Having performed very well so far in her role as SEC Chair, Mary Jo White gave us more reason to be thankful for her with a recent speech she made, calling for an end to information overload in disclosures.
3. Family – Even when things get absolutely crazy at the office, you know you can count on your family to help you maintain your sanity…we hope.
4. Analytics –Accountants can be thankful that business analytics technology enables them to not just report the numbers, but also interpret them to make informed business decisions quicker than ever.
5. CFO.com – Basically the bible for any accountants concerned with financial reporting, compliance and current industry hot topics. Accessible, informative and timely, CFO.com is a can’t-live-without resource.
6. Automation – It’s really quite simple – automation removes manual processes and allows you to spend your time more productively. That’s technology accountants are grateful for indeed.
7. DisclosureNet™ – With data-source to report technology, audit trailing capabilities and multi-user permissioning, you’re producing higher quality disclosures faster than ever before – hallelujah!
8. Competitor Fumbles – Not because you revel that much in other’s failures, but because it’s a learning opportunity and saves you some potential embarrassment.
9. End of Quarter-End – The rush, the sense of accomplishment and – oh yeah – remembering that you can actually get some sleep again, are all reasons to be thankful for the end of quarter-end.
10. Lunch Break – You may not always have time to make (or eat) lunch, so when you do, pause for full appreciation.
11. Spreadsheets (on most days) – For the Type A’s out there, nothing gets you going like a good, clean, organized spreadsheet. What would you do without them?
12. Good music! – A little bit of great music gives filing crunch time that extra feel good motivation and pump-up that gets you through the busy times – accountants rejoice!
13. U.S. GAAP Taxonomy – XBRL isn’t easy, but imagine how much more difficult it would be if the U.S. GAAP taxonomy wasn’t readily available? Let’s not go there and just be glad that it exists.
14. Memes – Whether it’s a seriously grumpy cat or an Ikea monkey on the loose, taking a 30-second break to peek at a funny meme helps alleviate some quarter-end stress. You don’t have enough time on your hands to come up with these ridiculous memes, but be thankful that somebody else does.
15. A Midday Desk Stretch – With long, sedentary periods at your desk day in and day out, we can all show some appreciation for the good old midday desk stretch – it’s easy, feels amazing and recharges your brain.
16. The Insight Forum – Your one-stop shop for industry news and best practices – what could be more convenient than that?
17. Upcoming Tropical Vacations – Nothing gets you through busy times like having a vacation to look forward to – thank goodness we had the wherewithal in June to book that early December all-inclusive holiday!
Did we miss anything accountants should be thankful for this Thanksgiving? Let us know in the comment section below!
Originally published October 27th 2013.